
Jeon Do Yeon opens up about her latest role in the Netflix original series The Price of Confession.
Embodying the role of Ahn Yoon Soo, a wrongly accused murder suspect who finds herself behind bars, the actress brings to life a complex character who takes a perilous gamble to clear her name and reclaim her freedom, masterfully conveying the nuances of female camaraderie and shocking plot reveals that catch viewers off guard.
In the gripping mystery thriller, The Price of Confession, two women's lives become intertwined in a perilous game of cat and mouse. Yoon Soo, a woman implicated in her husband's murder, forms a perilous alliance with the enigmatic Mo Eun, a figure shrouded in mystery and feared by many as a witch.
The show has garnered significant attention, with 2.2 million views since its launch on December 5, and has secured the second spot in the global rankings for non-English shows. Additionally, it has broken into the top 10 lists in several countries, including South Korea, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand, among others.

When discussing her involvement in a story that focuses on women, she expressed her thoughts by saying that the narrative is often defined by the fact that it features two female leads, which may be a result of the long-standing dominance of male-driven stories that have created a societal bias. She believes that stories centered around women are not inherently extraordinary, but rather they are perceived as such, which she finds somewhat regrettable.
The emergence of female leads as main characters has become a notable trend, marking a shift away from the traditional male-dominated narratives that have long been the norm. As audiences have become increasingly fatigue with the predictability of these male-centric stories, there is a growing desire for fresh perspectives, leading to a surge in female-driven stories that offer a unique and refreshing change of pace.
We had the opportunity to sit down with the actress and discuss her latest projects, here's a glimpse into our conversation
Now that the series is out, I have to say it's an incredible feeling. I always put my heart and soul into every project I take on, but knowing that audiences are responding positively and that it's performing well on Netflix is truly rewarding and makes all the hard work feel justified.
When it came to bringing Yoon Soo to life, I envisioned her as an enigmatic figure, with a seemingly ordinary existence that belied a more complex truth. On the surface, she appears to have it all - a loving family, a devoted husband, and a sense of stability. However, as I delved deeper into her character, I discovered a profound sense of intrigue that surrounded her. Having grown up without a family of her own, Yoon Soo's experiences as an orphan have left an indelible mark, imbuing her with a depth and mystery that is both captivating and haunting.
To create the visual elements, I drew inspiration from the script, which already featured bold and eye-catching outfits. The idea was to have the character make a statement with her clothing, almost as a way of expressing her inner world. Since her personality is more subdued, I wanted to convey a sense of freedom and spontaneity through her style, which is why I opted for a bohemian aesthetic.
It's likely that Yoon Soo was overwhelmed with a mix of emotions, struggling to come to terms with her new reality. As the days went by, the harsh truth of her husband's passing and the weight of caring for her child probably sank in gradually, forcing her to confront the enormity of her situation.
Yoon Soo's character appears daunting at first glance, but what I found most compelling was the way societal expectations have confined her. Rather than being overtly difficult, her true struggle lies in the emptiness she feels, particularly when it comes to her family life. On the surface, she exudes a sense of liberation, unencumbered by the opinions of others, yet beneath this facade, a deep-seated longing for a traditional and respectable family dynamic persists, one that she keeps hidden from the world.
I wasn't drawn to this project because of its genre, but rather the fact that it's a suspenseful thriller, which really caught my attention. What truly piqued my interest, however, was the dynamic between the two female leads, and I found the story of these two characters to be particularly compelling.
My impression of Yoon Soo was complex, evoking both sympathy and skepticism. A moment that stood out was when she struggled to find the ramen while trying to cook for her child, highlighting her lack of involvement in domestic duties. Despite being trapped in a marriage that restricts her, Yoon Soo claims to be an independent individual, which made me question whether she's truly ready to take on the responsibilities that come with freedom.

The demands of filming took a huge toll on you, both mentally and physically. We began shooting in the sweltering heat and wrapped up in the freezing cold, and to make matters worse, my wardrobe was woefully inadequate. I knew it would be a challenge, but I had no idea it would be this grueling. Not having access to the full script beforehand meant I was unprepared for the intense sacrifices Yoon Soo would have to make, and it was a truly brutal experience.
The narrative's perceived lack of realism has sparked debate, with many questioning the extent of the characters' suffering. Comments like "Was it necessary for her to endure so much?" are common. The story revolves around two women who are victims of societal biases. At its core, it's about the judgments people make, such as the expectations placed on teachers and mothers to conform to certain roles. These predetermined notions are the starting point of the story, and unfortunately, they are an inevitable part of our society.

The prison scene was particularly striking, as you had an otherworldly quality to you. I have to admit, I was taken aback when I first saw it - it's the one moment where I appear almost serene and radiant, which is quite a contrast to the rest of the film. Despite the blood and chaos around me, the director specifically requested that my face be free of any imperfections, which I found intriguing. When I expressed my concerns, he explained that this was a deliberate choice to create an air of enigma, and I must say, I was surprised by the effect it had when I finally saw it.
The Price of Confession holds a special significance for me on a personal level. I was drawn to this project, not only because of its intriguing concept, but also because it gave me the opportunity to collaborate with Kim Go Eun once again after a decade. Additionally, being able to work under the direction of Lee Jeong Hyo was a truly wonderful experience. Overall, I found this project to be particularly meaningful, as it allowed me to share it with individuals who are important to me.
You can currently watch The Price of Confession on the popular streaming platform Netflix.
According to references one and two